Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 3D Software Topic Forums » Blender

Post subject: Welcome Blenderheads!
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 am 

This section will contain tutorials, help and information for the open source 3D program Blender and the open source 2D program the GIMP. The great advantage of these programs is that not only are they free, but they can be freely used to create commercial products. There will not be any nonsense about activation or licensing.

To start off:

Get Blender here. It comes in 32 and 64 bit versions and works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and even Irix and Solaris. As I type this the latest stable version is 2.49b. 2.5 represents a huge change in the interface that should make the program more user-friendly for newbies, so keep an eye out for that. In fact, you may want to grab the 2.5 alpha and start playing with it right away.

Blender is an incredibly full-featured 3d program that you can use to model, UV map and export the .obj files used for creating conforming clothing, morphs, and props in Poser and DAZ, but that's not all it can do. Blender can also be used to refine your products using cloth simulation, multiple levels of subsurf or multires. It has some very useful texturing features as well, including baking of shadows, normals and direct surface painting for texture guides. There are still a couple of things Blender doesn't do as well as Max and Maya, such as fluid simulation, but most of them are in areas that are not exportable and do not bear on Poser/DAZ content creation.

Get the GIMP here if you use Windows. For Mac go here and for Linux here. The GIMP has many of the same features as Photoshop, crashes less often, and works fine with Wacom tablets.

For both of these you will need the latest Python.

You can exchange tips and info with other Blenderheads at the Blender Artist forums. Questions are answered here almost instantly. Don't be afraid to ask something that seems dumb at first; Blender does not have the world's easiest interface so it's easy to miss things.

All items in my PA store were made using Blender and the GIMP. Check out these free programs today!

Post subject: Re: Welcome Blenderheads!
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:10 am 

~WHOA~ Now this is a pleasant surprise. :D

I've been playing with Blender on and off for about a year, but I certainly would like to learn to model with it better than my up until now attempts at it.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Board index » 3D Software Topic Forums » Blender