Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 3D Software Topic Forums » Blender

Post subject: Tutorial 1: Questions and Comments Thread
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:28 pm 

This is an open thread for questions, comments and help with Tutorial 1: Your First Prop in Blender. I will answer your questions as best I can, or fellow experienced Blenderheads and/or DAZ Studio and Poser users can jump in and answer as well.

All items in my PA store were made using Blender and the GIMP. Check out these free programs today!

Post subject: Re: Tutorial 1: Questions and Comments Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 am 

OK, first question. I've been playing in Blender for a bit over a year now and have done a few props, one or two of which (swords) I'd like to smart prop to either Mike or Vicki. Would I be able to use your tutorial (which I will do in it's entirety at some point) to smart prop them "after the fact" so to speak, or is there a slightly different method for a prop that isn't actually "worn", but rather held, by either character?

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 pm 

The difference between a "smartprop" and a regular prop is that a smartprop is parented to a figure before it's saved to the library in Poser. Then when it loads again from the library, it will automatically parent to the figure if the figure is present already in the scene.

This is useful for when you've already posed a Mike or Vicky and want the sword to snap to their hand or the earrings to their ears, etc. There is no difference between a "held" and "worn" object in this context. Neither is rigged or weighted.

All items in my PA store were made using Blender and the GIMP. Check out these free programs today!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:17 am 

Ahhhhh, OK. Thanks for the explanation. Smartpropped is exactly what I was thinking. I've often bought pkgs with weapons that have been smartpropped to the character's hand.

I have also seen pkgs where a weapon is smartpropped to both hands so that you can choose which hand you want the character to hold it in. Sometimes I find it frustrating when a creator hasn't done that. In one particular instance the creator had two different weapons (both guns), and one weapon was smartpropped to both hands and one wasn't. Leave it to me to want the one that wasn't smartpropped to both hands to be in the "other" hand.

I've had some luck getting a weapon in the hand I want, but more often not, so I think this tutorial may be of some help for me. :D

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 am 

Thanks for the tutorial. I am working through it and it is great!! :D

I've tried wrapping my tiny little mind around Blender a few times but found the interface extremely user unfriendly but I have found the book "Blender for Dummies" by Jason van Gumster to be very helpful (he actually explains why Blender does things the way it does).

Board index » 3D Software Topic Forums » Blender