Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 3D Software Topic Forums » Hexagon

Post subject: Any Hex user?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:20 pm 

Just a little curious. Are there any hex user here?

Post subject: Re: Any Hex user?
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:20 pm 

Looks like I'm all alone then. :(

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:29 pm 

No no no, I'm just not that big of a forum user :)

I'm an hex user but still an apprentice.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:30 am 

I just got it, but have no idea what to do with it. It looks really powerful, but the documentation and tutorials haven't given me enough to get going.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:13 pm 

If you do a search on youtube you will find lots of tuts.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 am 

I've had it a long time but had been using Blender for a few years so didn't install it until I got a new computer a couple of months ago.

Aside from tuts on YouTube, you should also check out GeekAtPlay.com's tutorials --> http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagontutorials/index0.php

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 am 

Miss B wrote:
I've had it a long time but had been using Blender for a few years so didn't install it until I got a new computer a couple of months ago.

Aside from tuts on YouTube, you should also check out GeekAtPlay.com's tutorials --> http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagontutorials/index0.php

very good adivice.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 am 

I have blender as well.

I'm mainly a 2D artist. 3D has been all about setting up scenes that I can draw over. Using Daz, I could do a lot, but if I ever wanted to incorporate something into a scene that I didn't have an asset for, I didn't know how to make one. I don't want to devote my life to 3D; I just want to be able to make the thing I want to make. :-)

Between Blender and Hexagon, which would you say is the more powerful and easier for a newbie to figure out (acknowledging that both of those values may not be in the same program)?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:37 pm 

eorthman wrote:
Between Blender and Hexagon, which would you say is the more powerful and easier for a newbie to figure out (acknowledging that both of those values may not be in the same program)?

That's about the crux of the matter. Blender is a full-service powerful app, probably up there with Maya though it's open source/free, but because it's a full-service app, it has a lot of options, and I won't lie to you, it has a steep learning curve. I've been playing in it for a few years and I'm still learning, especially since they introduced a totally new UI the second half of last year. The one good thing is there are tons of tutorials out there for Blender to get your started.

Hexagon, on the other hand, isn't as powerful, but is easier to learn. Again, there's a fair number of tutorials so you're not out there on your own, so to speak, and would probably be easier to learn, but it's missing some powerful options, such as a render engine. You would need to bridge it over to DAZ Studio every time you wanted to do a test render to see how your model is progressing, or you would have to export in .OBJ format to import into Poser or other 3D rendering app every time you wanted to check your progress.

Both have their good points, and both have their bad points. The only thing I can say is, as long as Hex is free for another week, get it, download the latest Blender version, and then try each of them out for a while, and see which one you prefer. Everyone has their own preferred workflow, so what I may prefer may not be what you prefer, irregardless of whether one app is easier to use than the other.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Board index » 3D Software Topic Forums » Hexagon