Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 3D Software Topic Forums » Daz Studio » DS3 - Version 3.0 (Retired)

Post subject: Improve render times
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm 

Hi All, I just love the faster render times on daz3. I never used to use the raytrace for shadows because of the long renders, now I can get done a render in 3-4 hours when it normaly wouldn't taken 12-16 hours in the old version. Here's an example of a raytraced render.

Attachments:
File comment: Elven Queen
elvenqueen.jpg
elvenqueen.jpg [ 112.75 KiB | Viewed 9394 times ]

Post subject: Re: Improve render times
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:34 am 

Wow 3-4 hours that's scary I found with DS3 I can render it all under a 1 minute. Mind you I use a quad core with 8 gig mem on WinXP 64bit. 64bit makes a huge difference so think about getting an 64bit OS not vista keep away from that all together.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:50 am 

yeah, my computer's not that great, dual core, 1.6 processor, vista :( ,it's manages, I'm planning on buying a new one in the spring.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:38 pm 

This one took about 5-10 minutes for this small version:

In Studio 3.0 on Vista Ultimate 64 bit with an AMD quad core and 8gb of RAM. Large version was around half an hour.

I LOVE the way Studio 3 renders. I still have P6 for my stuff-making, since I haven't been able to master the Figure Setup tools, but I do all my rendering in DAZ. I love that it can be told to cancel and it will actually do it, and I love that it crashes about 300% less than P6. Everybody has their own preference interface-wise, but I find I really love its camera/render setup and the way the shadow settings are managed, too.

I've had my OS for about a year now and have been quite happy with Vista. I think it's really meant to be a 64-bit OS and is at its best that way. I haven't had any compatibility problems, either - not with drivers, not with my old games (including Diablo II and Oblivion), not even with my third party 32-bit Poser utilities and my open-source software. Even my modding programs for Oblivion and Fallout 3 all still work. I'd never use it on 32 bit, of course.

All items in my PA store were made using Blender and the GIMP. Check out these free programs today!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:11 am 

Actually it looks like I spoke too soon. The above pic was done with deep shadow maps.

Here's a render done with raytracing. It took two hours and 12 minutes at 2000x1600. Notice that the sword's shadow is screwed up and the other shadows are kind of weird-looking.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197 ... dowmap.jpg

Here's the same one done at the same size with deep shadow maps. Notice that the shadows aren't borked any more. This one took only twenty minutes.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197 ... dowmap.jpg

Is raytracing (software renderer) supposed to be better than deep shadow maps (with OpenGL hardware renderer)? If so, why?

All items in my PA store were made using Blender and the GIMP. Check out these free programs today!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:09 pm 

I don't know if one is better than the other, it just seems to me that raytraced renders sometimes have more depth and
detail visible than with deep shadows.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:24 pm 

you will find some info about raytraced shadows here

http://www.rubicondigital.110mb.com/Code/DSRenders.html

scroll down to figure 10 and read the relevant text.

Raytraced shadows are definitely much more cpu intensive as they render in real time, whereas shadow maps are calculated beforehands. My personal preference is for shadow maps where there is a lot of transparency involved (hair etc) and raytracing otherwise. If using raytracing make sure to increase the shadow softness to about 40-50% otherwise the shadows will look unnecessarily hard. You might also want to lower the shadow bias a bit (so from 1.00 to 0.90)

Raytraced shadows are rendering slightly faster with DS3. DS2 is nearly impossible for raytracing, but then again I've got an old pc.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:20 am 

Hmmm! I render at the top end of resolution and its all kinda instant for me. Maybe I am doing something wrong :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, fast render times are, in the main hardware reliant.

Board index » 3D Software Topic Forums » Daz Studio » DS3 - Version 3.0 (Retired)